Friday, December 5, 2008

Gifts for Foragers, #2

Surprise the mushroom hunter on your list with a gift from Fungi Perfecti. This clearing house for all things fungal offers oyster logs, growing kits, books, and much more, plus a cool ballcap that I wear myself. But if you're looking for that perfecti stocking-stuffer, you can't go wrong with a Rockwell stainless steel mushroom knife. The knife is rated with a blade edge of 54-56 and comes with a handy belt sheath for easy access. The bright yellow grip makes for easy visibility if you drop it on the ground (unless you drop it in a dense patch of golden chanterelles!), and coolest of all, the knife butt is adorned with a small stiff-bristled brush for field cleaning your catch.

7 comments:

Dora Renee Wilkerson said...

I'd love an oyster logs for Xmas. I never thought about hinting around to my husband about it but thanks for the post.. I will now!

:)

I got your blog address from forageAhead group.

Great blog you got. I am going to go read more of it.

Thanks,

Dora Renee' Wilkerson

Dawn Fine said...

I want that...i love to pick mushrooms.thanks

drfugawe said...

Ooooh! Fin, my man, you are beginning to show how you are only a "gentleman hunter-gatherer" - or at least one out of my league. I'd shiver to think how much that baby might cost! My knives all come from one unique source; The Hospice Thrift Shop, where a wide assortment can be had for 10 cents each - this is only justly appropriate when I am in the habit of leaving them, one by one, somewhere in the deep woods.
doc

Langdon Cook said...

Doc, have no fear: The knife/sheath combo is a reasonable $14.95. But I got a good laugh out of the "gentleman forager" comment!

Langdon Cook said...

Dora, I've never tried a Fungi Perfecti oyster log. I think you get one good fruiting and then, if you grind it up into an outdoor compost/mulch pit, you might get future fruitings provided there's enough woody debris.

Anonymous said...

I like the knife idea w/ attached brush. That's sooooo cool.

John in Bellingham said...

I got one of these as a present last year and while initially skeptical, I now find it indispensable. The brush on the end is far more useful than I expected it would be, and the blade is high quality and nearly as sharp as when I got it despite heavy use. For the price it can't be beat. Highly recommended.